I was fed-up with Chickpeas..
Me? That woman who likes everything? I could hardly believe it myself..
It just seemed that every time I saw the word ‘Moroccan’ or ‘Vegetarian’ on a menu or in a magazine, I just knew that Chickpeas were going to feature prominently.
I was bored.
Weird. Not like me. I genuinely do like virtually everything.
But hurrah, I’m cured! This little recipe – just 3 main ingredients, plus some stuff you probably have hanging about – has sorted that!
I’d done a couple of hours in the garden, it was almost mid-afternoon, and I’d had no lunch! I found this gem of a recipe on a site called The Smitten Kitchen – check her out fellow-foodies, she’s the biz – I read the recipe, and 10 minutes later – no exaggeration – I was sitting down to this sensational dish. It’s perfect for a Vegetarian lunch, but I also think that it would be a terrific side dish to go with grilled meats or for a party.
Go on, give it a go.. :), banish Chickpea boredom, AND use up that glut of Courgettes!
- Tin opener
- Frying pan
- kitchen paper
- 1 tin of Chickpeas – washed, drained and dried.
- Oil (I use local Rapeseed Oil)
- Sprinkle of ground Cumin (optional)
- 1 Courgette, thinly sliced.
- Greek yoghurt – about 2 tablespoonfuls
- Zest of half a lemon
- Half a fresh garlic clove, grated
- Sea salt (I use Maldon)
- Chopped fresh herbs – I used parsley today.
- Heat the oil in the pan until hot.
- Add the well-dried Chickpeas and roast for about 5 minutes or until they start to crisp up.
- Sprinkle over the ground Cumin if using. Add a little salt too.
- While the Chickpeas are cooking, slice the Courgettes.
- Drain the crisped Chickpeas on some kitchen paper.
- Add another spoon of oil to the pan and when it’s hot, add the sliced Courgettes, and stir-fry them until they wilt and start browning.
- Spread the yoghurt over your serving dish.
- Grate the lemon zest and garlic directly onto the yoghurt, add the salt, and mix in.
- Put the fried Courgettes onto the yoghurt, then top off with a handful of chickpeas.
- And tuck in!
- There’s something really delicious about this salad – the cool, slightly salty and lemony yoghurt, the warm courgettes, and the toasted chickpeas all come together to make a delicious whole.
- There are enough fried Chickpeas to do several more portions of this salad.
- It’s a great way of using up that glut of Courgettes that everyone has in August/September.
- You’ll need a whole Courgette for one portion, as they shrink down as they cook.
- To make this as a side-dish, I’d use about 4-5 Courgettes, 300-400g of Greek yoghurt, and the whole tin’s worth of Chickpeas. Obviously you can double or treble it as you see fit.
- Here’s a whole new reason to always have a couple of tins of Chickpeas in your cupboard!