My former Right Hand Woman at work has become an enthusiastic cook in my absence, and regularly sends me news of her latest creations. Thanks to her, we have her cousin Lucy’s ever-popular Victoria Sponge https://eatingforireland.com/recipe/lucys-victoria-sponge/ already on this site.
So here’s Gillian’s latest triumph – an easy weekday dinner – her Chicken with Sumac, Cumin and Roasted vegetables with Bulgar .. ready in about 45 minutes, including the preparation!
- A large 1-2 inch deep roasting tray
- A heat-proof bowl
- Measuring jug
- A sieve
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 8 thin rashers streaky bacon
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2-3 red onions, cut into chunks
- 2 courgettes in thick slices
- 1 pepper, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 vegetable(or chicken) stock cube
- 200g Bulgar wheat
- 25g hazelnuts – chopped.
- 2 tblsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oven to 180 Fan
- Line the roasting tin with a sheet of baking parchment
- Mix the onion, courgette, pepper and garlic together in the bowl with a tablespoon of oil, season well, then spread in an even layer in the roasting tray
- Season the chicken, then rub in the Sumac and Cumin until fully coated.
- Wrap each breast in 2 slices of bacon, secure with cocktail stick (if required) and place in the roasting tin on top of the vegetables
- Drizzle the whole lot with oil and roast for 25 mins – See NOTES 2
- Wash and dry the bowl.
- Weigh the Bulgar into the sieve – wash it well under running water, then drain and return it to the bowl.
- Make up stock to 200mls with boiling water
- Pour the stock over the Bulgar, cover, and leave to stand for 10 minutes, then give it 5 minutes on full power in the Microwave. Fluff it up with a fork, and leave to rest.
- After 25 minutes, remove the Chicken from the oven and leave to rest.
- Put the heat up to 200 Fan and give the vegetables another 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff up the Bulgar again, add the vegetables and the juices from the roasting tray and mix in well.
- Slice chicken, pour any juices into the Bulgar
- Sprinkle over the chopped coriander and the hazelnuts, if using.
- Serve with a crisp green salad
- Gillian’s original recipe called for Couscous, but I changed it to Bulgar because I prefer it. If you want to use Couscous, just treat it exactly like the Bulgar, but don’t give it the 5 minutes in the microwave – it doesn’t need it.
- Remove the chicken after 25 minutes, and allow it to rest – if you leave it any longer it will be dry and tough.
- Unusually for me, I had most of the ingredients for this dish in the house today – the only thing that was missing was the courgettes, so I used some lovely organic Chestnut Mushrooms, quartered, instead. They worked really well.
I think is a great little recipe, we both really enjoyed it this evening – Thanks Gillian! x