Ok, so we all know that nothing can actually ‘cure’ the common cold, and its leftovers, but this little recipe will ease your pain somewhat. Mr Sat Night read an article somewhere about the benefits of an Old Wives’ Tale cure versus various supermarket cough bottles, and the Honey and lemon won hands down. So he persuaded me to have a go, which I did (nothing could have made me feel any worse, that was for sure) and the effects were immediate, but fairly short-lived. Still, better than nothing, eh?
My advice, if you have a delicate stomach, is to eat something first because, basically it’s just lemon juice and honey, – the clue was in the title there 😉 – so you might find it a little harsh on an empty tum..
It’s simplicity itself..
- A 250 ml heat-proof mug or glass
- A teaspoon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons of honey – Any kind – I have some lovely local honey available to me thanks to St George’s Market and my good friend Liz, but if all you’ve got is Boyne Valley Squeezy, then that will do too, for the time being..
- Boiling water
- Squeeze the lemon juice into your chosen glass
- add two heaped teaspoonfuls of honey.
- Keeping the spoon in the glass, top it off with boiling water.
- Stir until the honey has dissolved
- Drink it while it’s still warm
- This definitely gives you a good half-hour’s comfort from symptoms, so what have you got to lose?
- Although I like honey, I wasn’t sure that I’d manage this, but it tasted lovely, and really comforting.