Coffee Cake has always been a favourite of mine – and this one is very ‘Coffee-ish’! Probably not suitable for the kiddies unless you want them swinging from the chandeliers at midnight, nor for grown-up late-night foraging either, for the same reason
This is a very easy recipe and makes 2 x1lb loaves, or a 2lb Loaf. To make a large Coffee sponge cake, please check out the NOTES at the bottom of the recipe.
- 2 x 1lb loaf tins, lined
- Electric mixer
- cup and spoon for the coffee
- flat-bladed knife
INGREDIENTS: makes 2 x 1lb loaves. See NOTES for variations.
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 175g Butter – I use Golden Cow in a tub
- 175g Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons of Instant Coffee *see NOTES* dissolved in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, cooled
- 50g Chopped Walnuts (optional) We’re a nut-free house, but everyone knows that Coffee and Walnut is a great combo!
- Heat the oven to 160º Fan or the equivalent.
- Grease and line the loaf tins
- Make up the coffee mixture in a mug or small bowl – stir well to dissolve the granules then let it cool
- Measure the flour, eggs, sugar, butter and liquid coffee into the mixer bowl, and beat together for about 3 minutes until well combined. Use a spatula to give the mixture a few extra turns to make sure all the coffee is incorporated.
- Divide evenly between the two tins – I weigh mine because I can’t judge by eye at all.
- Bake at 160º Fan for 30 minutes
- Remove and cool completely.
- When cool, making the icing, and ice the cake!
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons proper Espresso, or 1-2 teaspoon of granulated coffee and 4-5 teaspoons of boiling water, mixed.
- Sift the Icing sugar into a bowl.
- Use the freshly made-up coffee to make a thick icing. Don’t add it all at once – try 2 teaspoonfuls first and go from there.
- Use a flat-bladed knife dipped in boiling water to smooth the icing
- These amounts cover 2 x 1lb loaves, or 1 x2lb one.
- Decorate with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Instant coffee – I use decaffeinated coffee, so I can have a late-night slice without staying awake all night!
- To make 2 large 8inch/20cms sponge cakes which will be sandwiched together, I suggest that you double this recipe. Bake for approximately the same length of time – 30 minutes, or until the sponge springs back when you gently press it.
Sandwich together with Mascarpone Icing which is:
- a 250g tub of mascarpone
- 150g sifted icing sugar
- 100mls Double cream
- 1 tablespoon proper Espresso – or 1 teaspoon of granulated coffee and 2-3 teaspoons of boiling water, mixed.
- Whip them all together until thickened – 3-4 minutes – then sandwich the sponges together. Make up some Glace Icing as in the original recipe above or keep some of the mascarpone icing back to cover the top.
- ** You’ll need to keep this cake, covered, in the fridge**
- A 2lb Loaf tin with the original recipe will take between 40 and 50 minutes to bake -turn it around in the oven after 35 minutes.
- If you’d like to make one/freeze one, just freeze the cooled cake un-iced.