- One or two shallow roasting pans (Swiss roll tins are ideal)
- A large freezer bag
INGREDIENTS: to make enough for a really large Caesar salad, and lots left over
- 1/2 a ciabatta loaf, or other bread
- 2 tblsp extra virgin Olive oil
- a teaspoon of herbs de Provence, or a selection of fresh herbs, very finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees, and put the trays in to heat
- Using a sharp knife, cut the bread into small bites. I don’t like croutons that are too big, so about 1cm wide and 2cm long is about right for me, but whatever suits you is fine too
- Put the bread into the plastic bag and add 1/2 the Olive oil
- Hold the bag closed with one hand and shake the bread into the oil briskly but gently until it’s well dispersed. If the bread is too dry, add as much of the remaining oil as is needed. Less is definitely more in this case.
- Add the herbs and seasoning to the bag and shake again
- Pour onto the trays, spread it out well, so that each crouton is separated from its neighbour
- Roast for 10 mins then remove onto kitchen paper and allow to cool completely
- Keep in an air-tight box until needed.